Business Cases and Technologies for Rules in Industry: State of practice, Challenges and Opportunities
With the increased importance of big data for improving operational performance in all sectors of industry, the role of rule technologies has become ever more manifest (and even critical). Indeed, if Data Assets have been recognized as the “new oil”, then Rule Technologies should be introduced for the most important processing steps in generating value from data. For example, event-condition rules enable the detection of an anomaly state in the process execution by processing huge streams of sensor data. However, not only the creation and execution of such rules, but also their maintenance and refinement require a systematic approach, provided usually through rule management methodologies and systems. On the other hand, the industry is still not completely aware of the importance of such approaches for an efficient utilization of big data through rules. Therefore, there is a need for industry to learn, exploit and share the use of rules and rule technologies for solving real life business problems, for instance in the field of logistics, planning, domotics, healthcare, big data and high- scalability reasoning, and financial applications including high-frequency trading. The proposed industry track aims to be a forum for all sectors of industry (as well as public sectors) to address such needs.
Incentives for industry participation in this track include:
- Present own results / solutions for use of rule technologies in business settings
- Learn about new trends in rule technologies, and how they can be used to address business problems
- Exchange experiences about business cases and use of rules
Subtracks and Topics (not limited to):
- Needs for research and development
- Proposals for joint (industry/academe) efforts
- Progress in research & development
- Lessons learned (unsuccessful efforts that still provide insight)
Research Contributions and Demos
- Original contributions in rule-related fields
We recommend the inclusion of information related to:
- Business case – explain the business case and the value proposition
- Technological challenges – explaining why the business case is difficult to be solved by using traditional technologies
- Rule-based solution – technical details, esp. the usage of rules
- Status/Results – the status/benefits of the approach/solution
- Importance and impact – describe the importance of the solution for business/technology
Industry Track Submissions
We recommend using the LNCS format. The papers can be submitted at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=rulemlrrindustry2017.
The submissions will be peer-reviewed. The best papers will be recommended with the permission of the authors for publication in the CEUR proceedings of the conference.
Industry Track Deadlines:
|Paper submission||April 20, 2017|
|Notification||May 1, 2017|
|Camera-ready||June 10, 2017|
Why at RuleML+RR?
RuleML and RR conferences have encouraged building bridges between academia and industry, each in their own right. You can find proceedings from previous years below. The RuleML+RR joint conference will continue to strengthen such bridges.